Friday, March 19, 2010

In cricket parlance

For all those who follow cricket as religiously as I do (and am sure that there are more of followers than otherwise), one thing is common...to hear all those cliches. I sometimes wonder if I hear them often than the normal things. To cut the message short, let me get straight to the point.

(In no particular order...just the top-of-the-mind recall)

Cliche 1:He is a wonderful hitter of the cricket ball!!!

I hate this cliche as much as I hated my math classes. Come on...can someone be a wonderful hitter of the tennis ball and then graduate to being an international batsmen. And what else do you hit if you are a batsman (of course, on the ground).

Agreed that people like Inzy, Afridi made it difficult to predict if it is the ball or the head that warrants a hit with...but still...

Cliche 2: Last thing they want now, is a run out!

Okay, I've never graduated beyond the college cricket level but can somebody explain me when the first thing that a team wants is a run out?

Except of course if you are working your way through a 20 ball 45 and have Jeffrey Boycott replica at the other end! But still....

Cliche 3: This is such an important period of play

Hmm...oh yeah....the first five overs are the not-so-important period followed by a medium-importance period followed by this very very important period.

Give me a break...completely agree that some periods are important for building the base to a big score but seriously...isn't every phase important for the team?

Cliche 4: He is a quick runner between the wickets

Oh yeah...we were actually looking for someone who is a wonderful runner in the outfield regardless of the ball coming in his direction...

Guess this came as a solace to all those who played in the Inzy era to distinguish that Inzy actually is not around and there is some good running in the middle...but still, it is a cliche for me

Cliche 5: There is some swing in the air

Really??? I mean, really real??? And I was looking for some swing in the pitch...how bad of me!

And the list goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment